On this page you’ll find:
Summary of Programs and Services
VNSNY Hospice and Palliative Care services include:
- Hospice Care
- Palliative Care (Adults and Children)
- VNSNY Cardiac Hospice Care
- Hospice Care for Veterans
- Family Support Programs
- VNSNY Haven Hospice Specialty Care Unit
- Shirley Goodman and Himan Brown Hospice Residence
Hospice Referral Form
To refer a patient to VNSNY Hospice and Palliative Care, please call our Referral Center at 1-212-609-1900.
You can also fax the Hospice Referral Form to 1-212-290-1825.
Hospice Eligibility Criteria
If you answer “yes” to any of the following questions, your patient may benefit from VNSNY Hospice and Palliative Care.
- Would you be surprised if this patient lived longer than one year?*
- Is the patient experiencing more frequent hospitalizations or ED visits?
- Would a conversation about goals of care for the time remaining relieve anxiety or improve this patient’s quality of life?
Core indicators for Hospice1:
- Multiple hospitalizations
- Physical decline
- Weight loss
- Serum albumin < 2.5 gm/dl
- Stage 3–4 pressure ulcers
- Multiple comorbidities
- Dependence on assistance for most ADLs
- Signs and symptoms such as increasing pain, dyspnea, nausea/vomiting, edema, pericardial/pleural effusion, ascites
- Karnofsky or Palliative Performance Scale (PPS) score < 70%
For more information and disease-specific indicators, download the VNSNY Hospice Candidate Card.
*This is a helpful screening question used nationally. Actual eligibility for hospice care requires the patient’s physician to certify terminal illness (life expectancy of 6 months or less).
General In-Patient (GIP) Hospice Eligibility Criteria
Hospice patients may be eligible for GIP care when symptoms are such that it is not feasible for care to be safely performed in a home or residential setting. For example:
- Medication issues that require titration
- Unstable condition
- Complicated care—when specialized treatment or care is needed
- Difficult symptoms—when there are ongoing difficult, uncontrolled symptoms
1 Local Coverage Determination (LCD) for Hospice – Determining Terminal Status (L25678), National Government Services, June 5, 2009.