Advocacy and Community Resources

Are you or your loved one missing out on benefits and services? You may be unaware of all of the programs that are available. Perhaps you’re too busy taking care of your loved one’s medical needs to research these services or to sort through the rules and regulations that often accompany applying for them.

A VNSNY social worker can help you identify the services that will meet your individual needs, including:

  • Community services and resources, such as adult day care or senior centers, or programs for rent exemption or reduced utility costs.
  • Entitlement programs such as Lifeline, Access-a-Ride, and Meals-on-Wheels.
  • Services provided by agencies affiliated with specific illnesses, such as the American Cancer Society or the Alzheimer’s Foundation.
  • Public benefit programs including Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, VA benefits, food stamps, and New York City housing.

Whether you are overwhelmed by the demands of caring for a chronically ill child or you are frail, elderly, and don’t know where to turn for help, your VNSNY social worker is there for you. In a time of decreased funding and availability of programs, your social worker can act as your advocate, helping you to determine your eligibility and to complete your applications. In addition, your social worker will work with Adult Protective Services if you think or suspect that you or your loved one may be exploited, neglected, or abused.


For more information about VNSNY’s social work services, including advocacy and community resources, please call us at 1-800-675-0391.