VNSNY offers a wide range of Community Mental Health programs that serve the mentally ill, provide geriatric mental health case management and offer mental health counseling to children and families. The goal: to get consistent, coordinated care to the individuals who need it and their families. Many of these programs are collaborations between VSNSY and state or city agencies, others are partnerships with health and behavioral health agencies. Some of these programs include:
- FRIENDS, which provides comprehensive mental health and social support to high-risk emotionally disturbed children in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx.
- Parachute NYC: Need Adapted Mobile Crisis Team
The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene has designated VNSNY a Need Adapted Mobile Crisis Team (NA-MCT) provider of Parachute NYC services. This client-directed approach offers in-home treatment and is an alternative to hospitalization for people having a psychiatric crisis. Parachute NYC is free, available within 24 hours, and is open to individuals between ages of 18 to 65 living in the Bronx, Manhattan, or Queens. For more information or to speak with a crisis counselor, call 1-800-Lifenet (1-800-543-3638).
- Geriatric Mental Health Outreach, which provides short-term mental health services to seniors in the Bronx and Upper Manhattan.
- Mobile Crisis Teams, which provide rapid assessment and short-term, in-home mental health services to individuals in the Bronx, Queens and Manhattan who are or are at risk of experiencing a psychiatric or psychosocial crisis.
- Health Homes, a partnership of eight organizations that offer complementary services to coordinate primary health care, specialty care and behavioral health care for Medicaid patients with overlapping mental illness, substance abuse and multiple chronic illnesses.
To support these and other programs, we invite you to join our efforts to build vibrant, healthy communities. Donate now.