Chairman of the Board: John Rafferty
New York City, Nassau County, Suffolk County, and parts of Westchester County and Upstate New York
Largest not-for-profit home health care provider in the United States.
Average daily census: 35,000
2013 total patients served: 163,500
2013 total professional home visits: 2,276,650
Total employees: approximately 16,900, including:
- Registered Nurses: 1,602
- Rehabilitation Therapists: 525
- Social Workers: 414
- Home Health Aides: 11,718
- Other Clinical Professionals (Physicians, Nutritionists, Psychologists): 139
Collectively, VNSNY staff members speak 50 languages.
The Visiting Nurse Service of New York (VNSNY) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to home and community-based health care. The agency was established in 1893 by Lillian D. Wald, the founder of public health nursing in the United States.
Today, VNSNY is the parent organization of several companies whose staff provides and coordinates the care of patients residing throughout New York City and in Nassau and Westchester Counties:
- Visiting Nurse Service of New York: a not-for-profit "parent" company which provides administrative and support services, such as financial management and fund-raising, to its group of companies.
- Visiting Nurse Service of New York Home (VNSNY Home Care): a certified home health agency that provides skilled nursing care, rehabilitation therapies and other professional services, as well as certified home health aide services.
- Visiting Nurse Service of New York Hospice Care: a Medicare-certified program that provides end of life care to patients and their families.
- Partners in Care: a licensed home care agency that provides home health aide services on a contract basis to VNSNY Home Care. It also provides home health aide and professional services to patients and families who pay privately.
- VNSNY Family Care Services: a Medicaid-funded program that provides home attendant services to NYC Human Resources Administration clients in the Bronx and Manhattan. It also provides home health aide services to VNSNY Home Care on a contract basis.
- VNSNY CHOICE Health Plans: an affiliate company created by the Visiting Nurse Service of New York to bring together health professionals and providers who care for you, plus the medical services you need to live well at home. VNSNY CHOICE health plans are open to residents living within the Medicare Advantage or MLTC service areas, and are eligible for Medicare, Medicaid, or both. Learn more about VNSNY CHOICE.
Every patient in our care, whether receiving certified or licensed services, has a single professional who coordinates all services and who can answer patient questions. The nurse or therapist, working closely with the patient‘s physician or managed care case manager, will provide care directly and/or arrange for all authorized home care services.